Saturday, April 16, 2011

Conquering the Cochrane

This morning, I woke up at 5:45 and hit the road at 6 for my first solo ride. The biggest hurdle of my ride was over the Cochrane-Africatown Bridge. It's named for a community settled by West Africans in the 1900s who were part of the last known shipment of slaves into the US. I learned about this and other interesting facets of Mobile's history in Margaret Brown's documentary "The Order of Myths". Netflix it!

Anyway, I rode across this bridge today at six in the morning in the breakdown lane with semis barreling past me. "Keep it together. Keep it together. Keep it together"


I went ~12 miles out and back and it felt pretty good! I'm feeling soreness in what I think are the right places (sit bones, where are you?) and I had a lot less tightness between my shoulder blades so this ride was a lot more comfortable than my first one. Ah, progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment